How to Catch Sand Fleas: Master the Various Methods
Finding prized baits can be easy as long as you know where and how to collect them. Knowing how to catch sand fleas is a fairly easy process and there are several ways that you can do it.
Locating them, using the right tools, as well as familiarizing yourself with the process of how to catch them can serve as a considerable advantage for you.
Known as prized live bait for sheepshead, Pompano, and redfish, sand fleas are often be spotted hiding in wet sand along the shore. You can easily uncover them on beaches with a slight indication of their presence when notice a “V” shaped mark on the sand.
This article will aid you in mastering the various methods on how to catch sand fleas. In addition, I will provide a few important tips as you go through the different procedures.
What You Will Need:
Before going through the various methods on how to catch sand fleas, there are essential particulars that you will need. These are the following essentials that you need to gather.
How To Catch Sand Fleas: The Step-by-Step Approach
After you have gathered the materials required for this project, you may now carry on with the guide as follows. Here are the methods on how to catch sand fleas.
Method 1: Catching Sand Fleas By Hand
1. Make your way to the beach to locate where the sand fleas are. You can easily spot them the moment the waves draw back to the sea. Sand fleas usually hide under the wet sand. You will notice a “V” mark or impression on the sand which indicates their presence.
2. Once you have spotted or pinpointed the location of the sand fleas, wait until the wave draws back. At this point, you can go ahead and scoop a handful of sand.
3. After you have scooped a handful of sand, dump it unto a drier portion of sand. You will notice the sand fleas will not be able to burrow through and hide under the dry sand.
4. Gather the sand fleas and store them in a bucket with moist sand.
Watch this short clip to see how it is done
Method 2: Catching Sand Fleas Using A Net
1. Using a net is another method you can opt to use. Start the process by locating the sand fleas. As stated, they usually remain hidden under wet sand and can be spotted in between the incoming waves on the shoreline.
2. Once you determined the target area, get your net ready. The moment the wave dissipates stuck your net unto the wet sand and scoop a bulk of the sand out. Let the wave wash out the sand from your net. Once all the sand is washed out, you will find a number of sand fleas in your net.
3. Store the sand fleas you caught in a bucket that contains moist sand.
To get a more constructive idea of how it is done, watch this video
Method 3: Catching Sand Fleas Using A Rake
1. Another way is to use a rake to catch sand fleas. Like, the other two methods, first you need to make sure you have your target area on site where the sand fleas are hidden.
2. Position the sand flea rake with its opening facing away from the incoming wave. Once the incoming wave comes, pull the sand flea rake towards your direction and away from the sea. Make sure to drop the opening of the sand flea rake on the sand in a somewhat scooping motion.
In this way, the sand flea rake will dig into the wet sand, collecting the sand fleas in the process.
3. Lift the sand flea rake. You will now notice all the sand fleas that were collected in the process.
4. Like the other methods, place the sand fleas in a bucket that is filled with moist sand.
For the video version of this process, watch this short clip
Essential Tips On Catching Sand Fleas
For a successful run when it comes to catching sand fleas, here are a few tips you can consider and use to get the upper hand.
It is essential that you have a bait that is popular among numerous types of fishes, especially if you have fishing as a hobby or a profession. Now that you have learned the various methods of how to catch sand fleas, you can easily use these ways to gather your bait.
Mastering these techniques will lessen your worries about not being able to collect the ample amount of bait you need for fishing.
Were you able to learn and follow the procedures on how to catch sand fleas? Were the supplemental tips helpful? Do you have any other suggestions about this topic? I would like to know your views regarding this article.
Send your reactions and suggestions by leaving a comment below.